"IIT Bhubaneswar's spelling mistake"?

“An historical event took place in 2008 in the country. Six new IITs started functioning from the academic year 2008-09. IIT Bhubaneswar admitted 120 students through IIT JEE, distributed over three disciplines: Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.....” says the homepage or rather the “introduction” page of IIT Bhubaneswar’s website.
However, they failed in understanding that IIT has a standard which is world-renowned and should not be tarnished by the use of sub-standard techniques and technology to hurt the image of the other respected IITies.
I’m writing this because of a serious blunder by the website designers err the content writers of the IIT Bhubaneswar’s website.
What they did?
“Under mentorship of IIT Kharagpur, the Institute is going to acuire world class infrastructure, faculty and facilities.” says the last line of the “introduction” page.
Did you see the mistake?
I know you are not a dumb but still I’d like to mention that. I think the respected website content writers have not read their own text after clicking on the “publish” button...I hope it’s as simple as that.
I’ll not trouble you further. Don’t you think “acuire” is not a valid English word? I hope my English is not that obsolete. However, do let me know if I’m wrong. I think “acquire” is the word which me and my word editor says is a legitimate English word in this context.
Respected Website designers and content writers, I’m sorry if I hurt you guys or gals or uncles or aunties.
However, this is not a new thing about IIT websites. Our very own IIT kharagpur described as the “the best engineering institute of the country” by IIT Bhubaneswar’s website is also not flawless in its website’s content and design.
I’d like to hear from you if the opinions expressed in this post hurt you, or you disagree with me, or you have something better to share.

PS: Finally, the website is corrected.
PS: Visit IIT Bhubaneswar's website from here
PS: Sorry IIT BBSians
PS: There were some more mistakes in the website.

Article written by AUTHOR_NAME

WRITE_ABOUT_YOURSELF

17 comments:

sree said...

Good Observation Dude!!

adi said...

Hi Ashish,
Good post...

Actually one cannot find these mistakes bcoz ur eyes and brains are made to read a complete word and not each letter of the word.
Thats is why softwares have a option of "spell check tool" ,which most of us dont use before publishing any stuff.

The general idea is that people can read words with jumbled letters as long as the first and last letter are in the correct order. just try this .....

"Arocdnicg to rsceearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. Tihs is buseace the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe"

Mahmood Syed Faheem said...

We try to do things in haste. To error is human. But not checking and correcting mistakes is indifference.
http://www.thedynamicnature.com

Ashish Gourav said...

@sreevishnu
thnx...

welcome to my blog "adi" and "THE DYNAMIC NATURE Faheem"

@adi
this is very true and I thank you for sharing that piece of information with us but still "IIT" should not give excuses....

@THE DYNAMIC NATURE Faheem
very true....thnx for ur comment

vishakha said...

hehe thank god i m not the publisher of that webpage otherwise lots of trouble came to by my side via diff bloggers :P
well such silly mistakes are common but i think they shud not be acceptable when the matter is about any prestigeous institute..I also agree.

BrownPhantom said...

Hi Ashish,
Stumbled upon you through indiblogger. You write quite well.
Wud expect some stories on IIT KGP on your blog . It's been over 6 years now.

Ashish Gourav said...

@vish
heeheee
but the matter is serious.....we bloggers look for flaws or rather news to write and that was playing into our hands

@Prashant Dhanke
Welcome to my Blog
thnx...
so are you an IIT kgpian??

Unknown said...

having common spelling mistakes on esteemed websites, is of course unpardonable... but I think to single out IITs as the one who 'just' can't afford it, is the wrong approach...
a web portal is your face to the world... so even if one is a small time blogger, one needs to verify and reverify each and every thing before actually going online..

Vineet Pandey said...

I think you are over reacting

Ashish Gourav said...

@aZoed
yeah point dude!!!
but the thing is that we bloggers look for news like this to write on our blogs :P

@Vineet Pandey
maybe!
as always I get too much excited if the three letters "IIT" is being talked about...I've spent my days of puberty studying about pulleys, benzenes, equations and all those rubbish which I hardly can't forget...so my overreaction is quite possible :)

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Great eye you have got. No one notices all of it actually (atleast I won't!)

perturbed perceiver said...

great observation! yeah such mistakes in sites for something like the 'IIT's' is pathetic...

soumya said...

Thanx for the links posted below "Blogs I love to read".. :P

Ankit said...

had Ms Word not been there i would have also found guilty of spelling mistakes in my post...so hugs to microsoft :)

Anonymous said...

observant !

Pradosh said...

I appreciate ur finding dude!!

I m a student of IIT Bhubaneswarand i have no shame to admit that the website is just shit....hope the authoritieshand over its reigns to us so that we can rebuilt it and get it in a better shape..
Anyways do drop by my blog on IIT Bhubaneswar @ www.iitbbs.blogspot.com

Cheers!!

aZoed said...

having common spelling mistakes on esteemed websites, is of course unpardonable... but I think to single out IITs as the one who 'just' can't afford it, is the wrong approach...
a web portal is your face to the world... so even if one is a small time blogger, one needs to verify and reverify each and every thing before actually going online..

Post a Comment

Be Polite!